Before 1239, the Counts of Burgundy gave the Moncley land as a fiefdom to the lords of Apremont, after which it stayed in this family for nearly 300 years. A fortified manor house, called a « fourteresse », was built in 1384.
In 1578, following several years of acquisitions, Louis de La Tour became head of the largest part of the manor of Moncley. He demolished the old fortified house and, on the edge of the cliff overlooking the River Ognon, built a fortified château surrounded by an enclosing wall with two gates, preceded by a moat.
This château, which was destroyed in 1867, had four round towers, one with six floors on the cliff side, plus a prison, a chapel, bedrooms and two square towers. The grounds contained two wells, a garden, large stables for 40 horses, a barn, a granary big enough to hold two hay carts and two main buildings, one of which, where the Lord of the manor lived, looked over the top of the cliff.
When Louis de la Tour went bankrupt, the title and the château were taken over by his nephew François de La Tour Saint Quentin (1557-1627) in 1608, and he handed it down to his descendants until 1660, when the estate passed to the Blictersvich family, then to the Belot family from 1728 to 1765, the Briot family from 1765 to 1777 and finally, from 1777, to the Terrier-Santans family and their descendants.