About the
Château de Moncley

In 1778, Marquis François-Félix-Bernard Terrier de Santans, the rich owner of a number of forges in Franche-Comté and Président à mortier (principal magistrate) of the Parlement of Besançon, wanted to build a large château in the countryside on his Moncley estate on the banks of the River Ognon, not far from Besançon.

To visit the castle click on the link.

For this ambitious project, he called on the services of the highly talented Besançon architect Claude Joseph Alexandre Bertrand, who had recently completed the Marquis’ very beautiful townhouse in Besançon. In the same year, Bertrand supervised the construction of the theatre in Besançon designed by Claude-Nicolas Ledoux, creator of the famous Saline Royale at Arc-et-Senans.

Time seems suspended here, in a world of simple, forgotten pleasures.

Looking out over the green pastures of Franche-Comté, the Château de Moncley is an intact jewel that has been in the same family for 240 years.